Power Grid is the updated release of the Friedemann Friese crayon game Funkenschlag. It removes the crayon aspect from network building in the original edition, while retaining the fluctuating commodities market like Crude: The Oil Gameand an auction round intensity reminiscent of The Princes of Florence.
The objective of Power Grid is to supply the most cities with power when someone’s network gains a predetermined size. In this new edition, players mark pre-existing routes between cities for connection, and then bid against each other to purchase the power plants that they use to power their cities.
However, as plants are purchased, newer, more efficient plants become available, so by merely purchasing, you’re potentially allowing others access to superior equipment.
Additionally, players must acquire the raw materials (coal, oil, garbage, and uranium) needed to power said plants (except for the ‘renewable’ windfarm/ solar plants, which require no fuel), making it a constant struggle to upgrade your plants for maximum efficiency while still retaining enough wealth to quickly expand your network to get the cheapest routes.
- 2010 Nederlandse Spellenprijs Winner
- 2010 Nederlandse Spellenprijs Nominee
- 2010 Japan Boardgame Prize Voters’ Selection Nominee
- 2010 Gouden Ludo Winner
- 2010 Gouden Ludo Nominee
- 2009 Juego del Año Finalist
- 2008 Ludoteca Ideale Official Selection
- 2008 Lucca Games Best Game Mechanics
- 2008 Lucca Games Best Boardgame
- 2008 Hra roku Nominee
- 2007 Hra roku Nominee
- 2007 Gra Roku Game of the Year
- 2005 Spiel des Jahres Recommended
- 2004 Tric Trac Nominee
- 2004 Tric Trac d’Argent
- 2004 Meeples’ Choice Award
- 2004 International Gamers Awards – General Strategy; Multi-player Nominee